Are you currently exploring the whole "God thing", or new to the Christian faith, or simply giving church another shot after being away for a while? If so, we've created an environment that we think you'll really like. It's called Starting Point and it is a 12-week conversational small group experience that is perfect for anyone who wants to explore faith, ask questions, and discover what God is all about.
Who should join a Starting Point group?
- Those who have questions about God, Jesus, and the Bible.
- Those who have a relationship with Jesus and are seeking to build a foundation for faith.
- Those who are just coming back to church after some time away.
When does the Starting Point group meet?
Starting Point meets at Faith Community Church. Meetings are on Sunday from 10:45am until noon in room 226. Starting Point groups are formed at least twice per year. These groups generally start in late January and late September.
What is the size of a typical Starting Point group?
Groups range in size but typically are made up of 10-14 people including 2-4 group leaders.
How would you describe Starting Point?
The group is designed with three purposes in mind. You can expect to:
- Explore faith. We want to offer you a safe, no-pressure environment to explore, investigate, and discuss basic questions and issues of faith. You’ll examine the uniqueness of Christianity in relation to other faiths, and experience the story of God from the beginning until now, and how it can impact your life story.
- Experience community. Of course, long-term relationships usually do not fully form in just a few months. But in light of the discussions that take place and the common bond group members share, participants can experience the beginnings of authentic community. After the group ends, many participants want to continue exploring faith in other Community groups at Faith Community Church.
- Enjoy conversation. Starting Point is primarily a conversational environment, not a teaching forum or a class on Christian theology. Naturally those elements may take place from time to time, but at its core, Starting Point is a conversational environment where discussion happens. We strive to create an authentic sharing environment where nobody feels pressured or judged. Starting Point leaders are not teachers, but facilitators and fellow sojourners with you on your spiritual journey.
What happens during a typical Starting Point group meeting?
Meetings are facilitated by the Starting Point leaders and are highly interactive. Typically discussion centers on the weekly topic introduced in the Starting Point Conversation Guide (such as Brokenness, Law or Grace) and the associated reflective questions. In addition to the Conversation Guide there is also a short audio (CD) message each week that members are encouraged to listen to and discuss. While nobody is called on, the leaders will share their personal experiences, struggles and insights and encourage others to do the same.
What is the cost for Starting Point?
There is a nominal fee of $20 for materials which include the Conversation Guide, media kit with Audio CDs and a Bible. If scholarship assistance is needed, please speak to one of the Starting Point Leaders.
What is the time commitment involved in Starting Point?
Weekly group meetings are 75 minutes in length and run for 12 weeks. We suggest (but do not require) that members read each section (5-6 pages) from the Conversation Guide and listen to the audio CD (40 minutes) prior to each meeting.
How do I join an upcoming Starting Point Group?
If you are interested, please join us at one of our Starting Point Introductory meetings or sign up for the next Starting Point Group. Registration can be done online at http://www.fcch.org/exploring-faith or in person at the Grow and Serve center at Faith Community Church.
Both Introductory and Group Meetings will be held in Room 226.